Monday, November 21, 2016
The Best Pancakes- dairy free, refined sugar free, gluten free option
I'm sure someone is wondering why I didn't just google paleo pancakes and make those. I did. They weren't good. I needed good pancakes that I would want to eat all the time.
I made a ton of pancakes on this hunt. Seriously a lot. And this recipe is the one that I came up with. I hope you love it as much as I do!
Some good additions/exchanges for variation: Blueberries, mashed banana, dairy free chocolate chips, melted vegan butter straight in the batter (decrease the almond milk slightly to account for the butter) to make buttercakes, 3/4C corn meal in place of 3/4C flour for some really yummy corncakes, 3/4C oatmeal for 3/4C flour plus some raisins for oatmeal raisin pancakes
I haven't tried all of these variations, but I have had most of them! If you try them, please let me know what you think of them! My favorites from the above list would have to be the corncakes and the buttercakes.
1 1/4C almond milk, unsweetened
1tsp vanilla extract
1/2tsp sea salt
2C unbleached all purpose flour (you can sub gluten free all purpose OR gluten free oats here)
1 (heaping) tbsp baking powder
1. Preheat a griddle or pan for the pancakes. I like to either spray it with olive oil or use vegan butter to prevent sticking. The "butter" makes a great extra layer of flavor here.
2. Break the egg into a large bowl. Add all the other ingredients to the bowl and stir. I typically ad them in the order listed above. Mix only until combined.
3. Drop about 1/4C of batter or less for each pancake onto the hot griddle/pan.
4. When tiny bubbles form at the edge and you can see the pancakes starting to firm up slightly on top, they are ready to flip.
5. Remove from heat to a plate and cover until ready to use.
Makes 18 small pancakes